Monday, March 4, 2013

Dreams

I once had a dream to be like Georgia O'Keeffe. I wanted to live in the desert and paint my days away. I imagined myself as the typical artist hippie, eating Tex Mex, falling in love with the electric skies, maybe even falling in love with another artist. I held onto this dream for years, then I graduated college and took a road trip from Vegas to Iowa. I saw the Grand Canyon (traumatized my mother for life when I stood too close to the edge). I saw Monument Valley. I got nose bleeds every day! That's right, nose bleeds and headaches. I was hot and sweaty and not at all hippie cute. The sunsets were pretty. That held true, but reality whisked my beautiful, romantic dream away.

I once had a dream that when the stick turned purple (i.e. I got pregnant), I'd be just like my mom. My mom was the happiest pregnant woman ever. Every picture had her smiling her big smile. Nothing slowed her down. Well, her doctor did tell her to get off the bicycle or else. And her water did break the day she played way too much tennis, but you get the idea. Guess what happened? I was the crankiest knocked up chick ever. Dream shattered.
 
I once had a dream I'd write all these books and hand them over to a person who would turn them into brilliant novels with breathtaking covers and captivating blurbs. Then I wrote my first query letter. And I received my first rejection. You know what happened? I learned how to be a writer and I'm still learning. I discovered the world of Twitter and blogs and Goodreads. I broke through my cyber-shyness.
 
If the dream is comfort, if it inspires languid sighs and dazed smiles, give yourself a pinch.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing.. Dreams can be so amazing and scary at the same time..

    I love this post..

    Amber @ bookgeekspeaks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to pinch yourself for the scary ones, they're like roller coaster rides. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Nice post, Robyn. It reads like a poem. I'm glad some of your dreams came to pass, and more would still take place, definitely.

    This post just reminded me I wasn't alone in the nose bleeding corner. :)

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaykay! Some really wonderful dreams have come to pass, like oldest boy with autism saying mom for the first time, and typing my name into Amazon and finding my book. Good stuff. You're awesome for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. This is really cool. Never let anyone keep you away from your dreams. You will always get something out of them even if you don't fulfill them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are really good words. That's right, even if you don't fulfill your dreams, you didn't waste time thinking them up. Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, that came to my mind when I was reading your post. I was just telling my aunt that what she was saying made me think twice about what I was doing. I was so excited and the way she put it made me feel like I should consider things, I mean it was a good thing ( I can't remember her exact words) what I was excited about. I usually just think that and keep to myself but today I told her that, not mad or in a bad way, I just told her she was making me feel bad. Your post did that, thanks because I would have given up just because of what she said (and she wasn't trying to be mean or anything, she was just telling us what she thought but there are ways to say things like that). This probably doesn't make sense since I can't explain what really happened lol

      Delete
    3. It totally makes sense! See, I love this blogging world. It's amazing how a few words can change so much, or how they can support someone, or how they can give you that pat on the back you needed. I think it's great that you expressed yourself to your aunt. People who love you the most worry the most about potential failure.

      Delete
  4. I love the posting. I am glad I wasn't on that trip with you and Mom. You also went through a sandstorm, too, right? Oh boy. I can still see the hippie and I am ready to purchase book two of Anna. (This was my dream for you kid!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you just call me kid? I'm a total cranky grown up! Thanks Shan. You're always in my camp.

      Delete
  5. How funny - I was one cranky knocked up chick as well. That's an incredibly long story, but lets just say that I'm so happy to be a mom now but pregnancy doesn't suit me :D Glad I'm not the only one that wasn't all glowing sunshine and rainbows. This is a great post, Robyn, I'm glad your dreams are slowly trickling through and I hope many more come to light. Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaclyn, you should have seen me in my pregnancy classes. The teacher was this chipper woman named Christy Christionson. I'm not kidding. She LOVED being pregnant and asked us all how we were feeling. I jumped in with, "I feel like crap because there's this alien that has taken over my body. He's attacking me from the inside out!" No one agreed, they just stared like I was a freak. I bet we can swap some good pregnancy gripes. Dreams are trickling in, but this post made me realize I haven't let myself get all dreamy again. I need to get on that. Thanks for the nice words.

      Delete
  6. Hi Robyn,
    I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award :)
    Please follow the link for details:
    http://rookieromance.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/liebster-blog-award-nomination-and.html

    Cerian, The Rookie Romance Blog

    ReplyDelete