Saturday, March 16, 2013

Sidekick Saturday [9] Irish


Sidekick Saturday is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type
• Share a picture and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment
This week is the St. Patty's Day Edition
Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven chose the leprechaun from The Hollows. I was all ready to hit this weekend's Sidekick Saturday with gusto. Being locked up with a really sick kid motivates a girl. Then Jaclyn throws this at me! So I went to MSN and typed in Irish books. I hit up Amazon and Goodreads. You know what I found, a whole lot of mature reading with an Irish theme. Hmm. So I've decided I need to cheat. I only resort to cheating in extreme situations like my sister beating me in the pool (she's so fast I had to sabotage her).
I'm going to the movies. Deal with it.
Since I'm cheating, I'll offer two movie picks.
My number one "Irish-ish" choice is D-Bob played by Jon Favreau from Rudy. I'm a sports movie junkie. I really am and Favreau played the perfect sidekick to Sean Astin's intense "I have to play football for The Fighting Irish" personality. He was cocky and clumsy at the same time, super rich but lacking in the suave with the ladies department.
                                                 Jon Favreau-2008
(By Edgar Meritano [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons)
My next sidekick is Marty O'Reilly played by the late Caroll O'Conner from Return to Me. This movie is the perfect combination of tearjerker and feel good. O'Conner plays the funny dad. And he's spot on. An Irish man running an Italian restaurant. What's not to love?
All in the family 1975
 Note: I could have picked actual leprechaun movies,
but those freak me out so much!
 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. LOL I love it! Nothing wrong with going to the movies if you have to ;) Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a total movie girl! For the life of me I couldn't figure a book on this one.

    ReplyDelete