Sunday, April 21, 2013

Jenny Makes a Friend! robgirlbooks' Review of Witch's Nocture

Witch's Nocturne
by E.J. Wesley
published 12/16/12
55 pages
I won the ebook (novelette)
4 STARS!

Jenny has a destiny. She also has an attitude problem and a tomahawk. The gamer slash monster hunter embraces her family lineage and goes all Ghostbusters on the supernatural world, craigslist ad and everything.
Witch's Nocturne drags our favorite sassy hero (and her sidekick best friend) into the world of witches. At least she has her grandfather's journal to help her...right?

I love these novelettes. We're set in Texas with a Native American nearly six foot tall girl and her gay best friend. The duo are still reeling from the epic battle in Blood Fugue when Jenny fishes out her first client. During the quest to decrypt her grandfather's journal, Jenny makes a new friend, a hilarious exchange that offers a glimpse into the more vulnerable side of our protagonist. There's more character development this time around, especially when it comes to the relationship between Jenny and Marshal. I love that despite his misgivings about the way the battle in the first book ended, he's committed to riding shotgun on this Moonsongs wild ride.

Dark Prelude is the third installment. I'll have that review next week (4.5 STARS). I love that the books are short bursts of supernatural adventure (and even some gore). You can read my review of Blood Fugue (Moonsongs book 1) or check out my fun mini-interview with author E.J. Wesley HERE.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your review, Robyn! So glad you're enjoying the series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally am!!! I tried to make Dark Prelude last longer...but ended up curled over my computer clicking next page until I ran out of pages. The series gets better and better.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading the reviews and comments, they reflect my feelings about the books and author. I have read all three of the Moonsongs books and loved them all and will be waiting for #4. I love reading E.J..s style of writing; he always has just the right combination of interesting characters, suspense and humor, a very talented writer and I look forward to reading everything he writes.
    I don't have an account so i hope this will let me post anonymously

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won books 1 and 2, but as soon as Dark Prelude was out I bought it in a flash. I'm doing the same with the next one. E.J. has a great setup with the two main characters and the Texas backdrop. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad that you are enjoying these so much! I loved them as well :D I haven't gotten to Dark Prelude just yet, but I look forward to hearing what you have to say about it! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark Prelude is my favorite one so far. I look foward to seeing what E.J. has in store for Jenny and Marshal. I wasn't so sure I'd enjoy novelette series. I love writing them, but being hooked on them? I totally am!

      Delete
  4. These look so fun to read. I haven't read novelettes before and I normally don't look for short stories but this I can't wait to read. I like this cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read novelettes that were part of a series I was following. I love writing them, but this is the first series I've followed that were all novelettes. It's also kind of freeing tackling a teeny book. You think, how much turmoil can I experience in 55 pages...loads!

      Delete
  5. Nice review! Looks like a quick entertaining read. I haven't heard of the author or the series but I'll try to check them out when I get on the computer.

    Happy Reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won the first two and rushed to buy the third one. E.J. Wesley does a great job with his descriptions and build up to a climactic moment and you can't beat 99 cents! Thanks for stopping by, Kaykay!!

      Delete
  6. Hi, Robyn. I'm back again. This time to play the game of TAG with you. Check out the details, you might like it: http://theartistcreativeforum.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-game-of-tag_25.html

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaykay! I'll have the post up next week.

      Delete