Monday, February 3, 2014

Charlie Davidson is the coolest. So what if she's the Grim Reaper. robgirlbooks' Review of First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones


5 STARS!! First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones hit my favorites list on page one. That's how good it is. Charlie was born a Grim Reaper. Not the most ideal superhero power, especially since ghosts have no sense of privacy. There's one particular ghost/being/something stalking her dreams and leaving her flustered to say the least. Add to that, three ghosts and her cop uncle hire her special detective services to solve a triple homicide. I'd worry more about Charlie if she didn't have her best friend Cookie.

This story gives you the best of two worlds, mystery and paranormal romance. Plus, I laughed my butt off. Plus again, it's steamy. Charlie is full of snark without crossing the line into the negative. She's probably the most hopeful character I've come across in a long time. She helps the dead crossover, so there's a part of her that believes every problem has a solution, heck even the dead get this one last chance to find peace. That makes her supernaturally stubborn. I love her mix of strength and vulnerability.

First Grave gives you friendship, romance, mystery, dead people, and a hot guy you can't figure out at all! Oh and there's this snotty kid ghost that is the biggest jerk. If you haven't tried this series, ha! I beat you to it.

“Maybe I needed sensitivity training. I once signed up for an anger management class, but the instructor pissed me off.”
Darynda Jones, First Grave on the Right


“I have three words for you," EMT Guy said. "Possible internal bleeding."
I turned back to him. "Don't you think if I was bleeding internally, I'd know somewhere deep inside? Like, internally?”
Darynda Jones, First Grave on the Right


“Can I jump in your body and make out with my wife through you?”
I fought a grin. “It doesn’t really work that way.”
“Then can you just make out with my wife and pretend I’m in your body?”
“No.”
“I can pay. I have money.”
“How much we talking?”
Darynda Jones, First Grave on the Right

2 comments:

  1. *ha* You beat me to it! :) I've had this book since the day it released and it's been sitting on my desk for I don't know how long...because I REALLY want to read it. Okay, I'm gonna have to get to it sooner than later. But I have to catch up on The Hollows first...or Lexxie and Jaclyn might hurt me. :)

    Charley does sound amazing Robyn and I'm thrilled that this book offers so much goody-goodness. :) Those quotes are great! And I love your review...even if you DID beat me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never get to beat any of you guys! Ha. I love it, but you are so right about needing to get back to The Hollows. You still have Ever After or something like that, right? Jaclyn and Lexxie might hurt you for sure. I'm behind on everything except Kate Daniels, Mercy Thompson, and Morganville...well I haven't read the last book but that's on the library.

    When you finally meet Charlie, I just know you're going to love her. Stay warm. I wish I could play in the snow over there with you guys!

    ReplyDelete