Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Coolest dragon ever! robgirlbooks' review of Vampire's Ball (Moonsongs book 5) by E.J. Wesley


4 STARS! Jenny and Marshal are back and gearing up for trouble. Why? Because they're in a heap of it. Vampire's Ball is a true turning point in the series. Jenny started out in Blood Fugue with a bag full of childhood drama and a personality brimming with attitude. She's still feisty and her past still sucks, but she's accepted her new role as Miss Badass Monster Fighter.

In this installment we're on location. I admit to missing Jenny's unpleasant little Texas town, but we get vampires and dragons. How cool is that? Not as cool as E.J.'s slant on dragons. Seriously, I want a spinoff staring Isis. I have a feeling she's on the mean side. I like that. The vamps remained an untapped part of the story. I wanted them fangier or meaner or saucier. There's a budding romance that could totally veer into it's own spinoff as well as a cliffhanger shocker that had me talking to my Kindle and checking E.J.'s website for the next release date! The point is I want more. E.J. is a fantastic storyteller and an autobuy for me.

The Moonsongs serials is a thrilling ride! In this New Adult Urban Fantasy, you get humor, gore, action, a girl who can wield a tomahawk, snarky know-it-all awesome best friends, mystery, and monsters we know but not the way E.J. creates them. You can check out the spanking new look HERE.

14 comments:

  1. Awesome review, Robyn! Thanks so much for sharing it. There's plenty more of the Moonsongs series to come, including side stories for Marshal.

    I had to really think about what a dragon personified would be like. There was one in book 4, too, but he was mostly just a bad guy. I wanted to give Isis some personality. :) She's a ton of fun to write, and we'll probably see her again at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to the side stories for sure. Marshal is the bees knees. I love that you went that deep into what you thought a dragon would be like and what Isis would be like. I was a little distracted in #4 with the romance and all to notice the dragon too much. Really, I was busy cheering Jenny on, but I do remember that dragon was not a nice guy.

      Delete
  2. I've got to read book three...I need to get reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, 3 is hardcore! Starts off fast and cold and bloody and never lets up. 4 gives us new ground. Yeah, you gotta hit #3. I think that was my favorite in terms of action and emotion. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  3. Oooh, New Adult Urban Fantasy is something I'd like to try. I do love me some UF, humour and snarky friends. New Adult is something that's fairly new to me, and I'm enjoying exploring the genre.
    Great review Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Moonsongs series isn't your typical NA, or least what most people associate NA with. I think you'd really like Jenny and Marshal and each installment is a novelette making exploring real easy. I'm having fun exploring this genre too!

      I hope the studies are going well! Oh, your first video post rocked!

      Delete
  4. I remember your earlier reviews of this series (and Jaclyn's too, I think) and thinking I definitely wanted to check them out! They sound like a lot of fun and I have to tell you...I'm a fan of dragons. :) I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Robyn, despite it not being in set in unpleasant little Texas town. ;)

    I hope your week is progressing nicely, girl! No more alien invasions!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still working on the alien invasion, but I'm switching back and forth between hugs and threats of no computer time and more hugs.

      Jaclyn reviewed this one and had a giveaway. I won the first 2 books and I've been hooked ever since. I was much better about reading my contest then. Now they're just piling up! They need to do a COYER challenge for just contest wins.

      I hope your week is moving along just right without too much dang drama. Man, kids.

      Delete
  5. I love it when a heroine finally finds her groove, and it sounds like this book has the best of both worlds: awesome action AND humour. The cover's not the greatest, so I probably wouldn't have picked this one up myself if it weren't for your review. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'm a few installments behind though, so I better start with book 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a funny thing about covers. I love the snark in this series and the action is so fast-paced. I hope you enjoy book 1. They're really good after those reads that won't leave your mind and you need a distraction. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard of these before, but vampires and dragons sound like a fun mix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many different UF creatures in this series and E.J.'s take is always entertaining and fresh! I never once considered pitting my vamps up against dragons. It's pretty cool. Thanks for stopping by, Sarah!!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow this book sounds great, how have I not heard of this series?? Adding it on goodreads right now :) Vampires and Dragons, now that is a combination I haven't heard of before!!

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a total vampire girl, and I've never once considered writing vamps and dragons together, but even better than that, is E.J.'s dragon Isis is so dang awesome. I want her to have her own series, but I think I mentioned that. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you get a chance to check this series out. They're exciting, quick reads!

      Delete