Sunday, March 23, 2014

Takers, Givers, and Leavers! robgirlbooks' COYER Book Review of Panic by J.A. Huss



5 STARS! Holy goodness, I loved Panic. I've been rooting for Rook from the moment life proved so full of sh*! that she spent her last ten bucks on a ridiculous coffee instead of on what? You can't start your wrecked life over with no money, no backup, no hope. But through a fluke, fate, luck, karma, whatever, she finds all those things. Panic takes us on her journey past surviving, past falling in love and finding financial security. It's the most painful journey for anyone who experienced abuse. It's time for Rook to heal the wounds from her past.

Ronin plays the perfect role in this installment. He can't take this journey for the love of his life. He can't push or even nudge. He can only love Rook and let her know he loves her. And he's damn good at it. I love Ronin. Yep, I do. Spencer and Ford are pretty much in the same boat, but they have more wiggle room as friends. There isn't much Spencer in this installment, but the little bit he's in just primes us for his standalone we're all waiting to read. Ford really pushes, sometimes too far, and most often for his own benefit. Ford reveals a few of his less pretty layers in this installment, less pretty, but not less lovable.

I love the layout for this story the most. We start off with a scene from Rook's past and that hooked me completely. I wanted more of those flashbacks, but J.A. Huss knew what she was doing. There were moments I laughed out loud and moments I started crying without any warning. I like to know I'm about to bawl my eyes out, and Huss threw me into more than one emotional storm! She's that good.

If you haven't started the Rook and Ronin series and you like your NA contemporary romance with a bit of edge, humor, and spice, get on it. One click this baby.

For all those doing the COYER challenge, I totally suck at it this month! This is my first review, and you know what I did after I read Panic? I bought Taut and read that. So did I clean out my ereader or what? That's okay, but I loved both books so dang much! I hope you're all doing better. Bet you are.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome review, Robyn! I agree with you, seeing Rook after things have gotten better for her is beautiful. And also, Ford revealing his less pretty shows that he has so many layers that he is always trying to hide.

    I hope you'll have a fantastic week!

    Looking for a good #fantasy read? The Time Weaver #ebook goes on #sale at midnight tonight for $0.99. Five days only, so grab it while it's cheep. :)

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Panic is my favorite of the Rook and Ronin stories. The reveals of her past tore me up and had me cheering for her even more. Ford's layers had me one clicking Taut and jumping right into that one. Wow!

      I hope you have a fantastic week too! Thanks for the tip on The Time Weaver. Sounds pretty amazing!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with everything you said. I just love this series so much. It's nice to see Rook's life finally working out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the novellas yet, but I just saw J.A. Huss post that all the installments must be read before Spencer's story. I think that's going to be a wild ride and very dirty.

      Delete
  3. *snickers* I really wanted to participate in COYER when I first heard about it (b/c if anyone needs to clean things out, it's me--I have like 4000+ archived books), but I also know myself. And I don't like to be hindered in my choice of reading material. Before eReaders, I traveled with an entirely separate bag for my books b/c I NEED options. So basically, I get you ;)

    And I have read Tragic and I really liked it, so I'm glad that Panic is keeping up. I'm especially glad that it opened with a scene from Rook's past b/c that was the only thing that bugged me about book 1--I wanted more info about this a**hole she was on the run from.

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, 4000+! Not judging, promise! That's awesome that you had a book travel bag. What a wonderful thing, that tiny ereader. I have a trip coming up next week. I have all these books lined up to read as if I'll have more than ten minutes to myself.

      Panic is my favorite in the trilogy because of the flashbacks. I wanted to know more about the a**hole she was on the run from too!

      Delete