Friday, February 13, 2015

Have you ever been sent to the principal's office?

My sister works in the schools and had to fill the principal in on something that happened during her shift. No big deal. She handled everything right, but it still shook her to go into that office and talk to the big man on campus. She's a grown up! Which I told her because I'm her sister and it's my job to be insensitive. I also reminded her that she did nothing wrong (after I asked her if she did anything wrong just to be thorough). My attempt to comfort her did not work at all. The girl was a total stressball. But it got me to thinking of the times I was sent to the principal's office when I was a kid....

I made a teacher cry. It was high school. Our teacher gave us a study guide for a test that turned out not to have anything to do with the test so the entire class bombed. I had a word with her. She cried. And I met our new principal. A nun of course, but by that point in my life, nuns had nothing on me and I wore that knowledge openly. No matter what they said or did, I didn't care. It was a short talk.

I told our Theology teacher she should definitely have sex before she got married. I even quoted my mom, "Why buy a shoe without trying it on first?" Yep. Another short talk.

I let a former friend of mine have it in the cafeteria in front of the vice principal. Not smart. This was a longer talk because of all the girl drama, but in the end no biggie.

There were a few more times, a scar on my neck that looked like a hickey but wasn't a hickey, but still warranted a chat. That turned out to be a blessing because they never got on me when the actual hickeys started showing up. Hey, don't judge. During my senior year, I made another teacher cry, but he totally deserved it. There were a few trips to the vice principal too, but she was this mean little lady that I couldn't help but love.

How about you all? Were you sent down for a chat? Do you still twist in your seat at the thought of talking to the Principal?


8 comments:

  1. In the UK, the 'Principal' is called the 'Headmaster' or 'Headmistress', which makes them sound scarier. I'm totally afraid of my daughter's Headmistress. Eek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elfa! It's nice to hear from you!! I'm with you on the whole Headmistress bit because that sounds terrible. So I'm wrong. I'd be a bundle of nerves too. Actually if someone is really formal or has pristine manners, forget it. I can't eat around them and all my words are wrong.

      Delete
  2. I'm smiling wide, Robyn! I never made a teacher cry. I'm proud of you!
    Those are the best memories of the school years, right?
    Honestly I wasn't afraid of the principal but in elementary school there was a woman in charge and she was indeed a bit scary, She reminded me of a witch due to her throaty voice. That's about it. :)

    Thanks for sharing!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy how a person's voice can shape their entire personality? I don't make teachers cry anymore. Even my dad says I've mellowed. But when he was being a stinker while playing cards I told him I'd get him back and he was actually scared. I still got it.

      Delete
  3. Omigosh, Robyn! Your stories! But first, tell your sister that I'd be the exact same way. I do NOT like to get into trouble and it'd bother me to go to the principal's office - even at 43. Back to your stories though....you make me smile, ridiculously big smile. And you make me proud. I, of course, don't counsel my children to flaunt the rules but I love that you stood on even ground with those teachers/nuns. I hope I've taught my children to stand up for themselves...without getting sent to the principal's office. :)

    Oh, so that'd be a 'NO'. I never went to the principal's office...that was my brother's job. Must be something about those second children. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to stand up for every dang thing. I should have been tired with all the platforms I stood on preaching. Now I think about all sides and I mediate conflicts. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I liked the mouthy girl I was, but I also like accepting people the way they are and trying to work with them. Only thing is, people are calling me sweet and nice. And they don't listen when I explain that I'm actually a jerk. What is that about? Your kids totally have a solid sense of right and wrong and I see them standing up for what they believe in. I imagine each one does it so differently from quiet to stealthy to in your face. And that's a big no for the principal's office for you. Hey, I just caught your crack about the seconds. You.

      Delete
  4. That's quite a feat, making a teacher cry! Wow, lol.

    The only time I was sent to the principal's office was in third grade when I got lice. And let me tell you, both of my parents came to get me, and the principal was such a bitch about it, acting like I was dirty or something. My parents gave her a lot to think about that day, I do remember that!

    I wish I had stood up to authority like you. I really admire you for doing that. It takes courage, courage I didn't have back then. I sort of do now, but that's with a question mark, lol. If it has something to do with my kids, though, I'll come out swinging no matter who's in the way.

    I tell Janie and Jack all the time - if someone hits you, HIT THEM BACK. I don't know if our school has a zero tolerance policy, but a lot of schools do, so might as well defend yourself if you're gonna get in trouble anyway. I told Janie if anyone ever starts a fight with her to FIGHT BACK. I told her I don't even care if she gets suspended. Not the end of the world. What is? If the bully thinks he/she can keep fucking with you. Gotta let that person know asap that shit don't fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was much more fierce back then. Everything was right or wrong and I was quick to judge and jump in. I think I even looked for sides to take when I was a kid. Will really hates it when I scold people. Except one time when we were walking through the Target parking lot and a woman didn't want to yield to us. Will was new to talking so all his words were from mimicking. Yikes. So I was pissed that the woman honked at us and sped around us instead of stopped at the stop sign and I yelled, "If you don't want to stop, go around next time." She yelled at me and I repeated rudely "Go around. Just go around." Four year old Will shouted those words to her and man it was so good. But he's trained me to hold back and wait it out. I liked the fire of my high school years, but I do like hanging back and being a little more patient.

      I don't know about the fighting back or what approach to take with bullies. Honestly. I removed John from preschool until they actually followed their no tolerance rule because he came home with a black eye and the next day a note that he may have a concussion all from one boy. I was pissed and they treated me like I was some out control overly emotional parent. I told them I didn't even cuss once! I don't think Janie will have any trouble with bullies. She's quick witted and bold. It's our little guys that's worrisome.

      Delete